WHAT IS PDO THREAD?
Polydioxanone (PDO) is a strong synthetic monofilament fiber consisting of one solid fiber of thread; it absorbs in 6-9 months depending on thickness. PDO Threads are also known or referred to as PDS, which have been used as a cutaneous and subcutaneous suture material in plastic surgery, Cardiothoracic surgery, trauma surgery, & gynecological surgery for over thirty years.
WHY USE POLYDIOXANONE (PDO) THREAD?
• Absorbs within 6-9 months
• Durable – lasts 24 months
• Higher resilience first 2-3 months
• Broken down by hydrolysis
• Does not have antigenic or pyrogenic reactions
• Has been found to stimulate neo-collagenesis in the skin
• Mild fibrosis results which strengthen connective tissue of skin
• Has been shown to show an immediate improvement
• Can be used on the body and face
• Absorbs within 2-3 months
• Causes pH change in treatment zone
• Activates pro inflammatory and pyrogenic reactions
• Higher rates of redness, itching, and swelling
• As being a synthetic suture, it should not be used to support tissues for prolonged periods
• Absorbs within 12-18 months
• Lasts 24 months
• Low Flexibility
• More discomfort